Friday 18 September 2009

Normal life has me back.

Now, slowly, I remember the things that I was planning to tackle before the Forum took over completely - smaller things as well as medium to big things (like the website relaunch, finishing an instructional video for netting and finding out how much fabric is needed for the new small market stall).

Yesterday, though, was mostly spent with the experiment dataset. I'm still looking at and photographing each spinner's individual output and playing around with the weights spun to see if there are general tendencies. And there are, and yet not. While for example spinner A made a totally predictable yarn only influenced by the fibres - with one fibre smoother, thinner yarn than the other - other participants have two sorts of yarn, quite thin and very thick, and they have no obvious connection to either spindle or fibre. It does need a seriously wacky spinning instrument to throw them out of their usual yarn type and thickness range, though, and sometimes not even the wackiest of spindles will do that. So this is a very intriguing start, and I hope I will find some more connections or possible connections.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just mailed you a train of thoughts on the why of the results. I have my pictures out on Flickr soon.

Harma

Peter said...

What website?

a stitch in time said...

A relaunch of my own website, www.pallia.net - I am planning a few changes and together with these a revision of site structure and contents. Including an English version - that unfortunately does not write itself...