Tuesday 20 January 2009

Working my way through the list

Another day has raced past, and I only just remembered that I am still due a blog post. I have a good excuse, though, since I spent the day on the telephone (work-related) and preparing several pieces of written stuff. There is still a huge list on my blackboard, but at least I'm not feeling all overwhelmed anymore.

Somehow, having too many things to do will not result in frantic activity but in a state of mind (and body) rather like paralysis. Sometimes I wonder why that is so. There were times when I thought it was only me, and a sign of not being up to this or that, but I have found out since that it is a rather common thing. So at least I am not alone.

Overcoming this paralysis can be hard, though - especially when working on one's own in a cosy little study, with the internet and books and telephone and whatever else right there to distract and eat up time badly needed for work. Beginning might seem hard, but once the first task is done, the rest does get easier. But then, sometimes, it is better to take half a day off to sort through things in the mind, even if matters seem pressing.

For now, my list is adequately diminished for one day's work. There are a few things that I want to have finished by the end of the current week, even if I'm not sure this is possible, but I'll try my very best. And I have the good feeling of overwhelm overcome.

No comments: